Saturday, January 11, 2014

Scotten Cinnamon Rolls

I finally worked up the courage to make cinnamon rolls, Scotten style.  Our friends, the Scotten family, make amazing cinnamon rolls from scratch.  The Mennonite bakery here has my favorite cinnamon rolls in the area but their bakery is closed the entire month of January so the only way to have what I was really craving was to make them myself - and I'm sure glad I did! :)

Cinnamon Rolls by Donna Scotten
1/2 cup instant potato flakes
1 cup water
2 packages yeast (or 4 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups warm water (115 to 120 degrees)
9 1/2 to 10 cups bread flour
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening, melted
1 tablespoon salt

Filling (I double for entire batch):
1/2 cup softened butter/margarine
1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
3-4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts or raisins (optional)

Icing by Paula Deen (for half batch):
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
4 tablespoons hot water

Stir potato flakes into one cup water microwave safe bowl. Microwave for three minutes and stir.  Combine yeast and two cups warm water and let stand for five minutes.  Combine mashed potatoes, four cups flour, eggs, sugar, shortening, and salt in six quart mixer bowl.  Stir in yeast mixture and blend.  Gradually stir in remaining flour until soft dough dorms.  Cover and let rise about one hour or until doubled. Divide dough in half.  Roll each portion into a rectangle and spread with filling.  Roll into a jelly roll and cut into one inch slices.  Put in greased pan and cover, let rise thirty minutes or until doubled.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top.  Glaze with powdered sugar icing.  Makes six dozen rolls.

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! Did you make extra to freeze them or do they keep well for a couple days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I froze two unbaked and before I let them rise in the pan, and I also froze one baked and with icing on top so I'll let you know what works best - and I'll be posting the recipe soon too! :)

    ReplyDelete