Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Stop Sucking Day"

We have been trying to get Margo to stop sucking her thumb for several years now, trying all kinds of tactics.  Since she's turned five we've been encouraging her even more to stop but she just isn't interested.  My mom suggested having Margo pick a day to stop sucking her thumb, making it fun, and staying consistent about it.  Once we got home in early January I showed Margo the calendar and let her pick a day anytime in January or February - she picked February 14th because we had on the calendar that it was Pop Pop's bday and Valentine's Day.  We prayed a LOT before that day arrived and asked for God to help her as she stopped.  That week in our school lesson was about perseverance, and I tried to connect the concept with other times that she persevered and continued doing things that she didn't want to do.  February 14th came and we had a fun morning celebrating Valentine's day, we went out to the mall to let her jump, went to Chuck-E-Cheese to let her play, ate at Noodles and Company where she got her favorite meal there (mac & cheese), went to PetsMart to get a beta fish, and finished with dessert at Chick-fil-a.  She also wore a "thumb guard" (I'll have to take a pic of it, but it's a glove that just covers her thumb and goes around her wrist).  That night we prayed for God to help her persevere and have victory in this addiction.  I am so proud of how well she is doing and I know my faith has grown as I've seen God take her from a crutch to having confidence now!  This is another milestone that we can look back on and I am so proud of her!   




No comments:

Post a Comment